Saturday 10 January 2009

Zen

When my Creative Zen Vision:M died about a year and a half ago, I was saddened by that loss. I lost a 32GB music player as well as a companion in my everyday life, being there for me when I needed it. It sang me to sleep, it told me stories on walks to school, and it kept me sane on long stretches on boredom.

I borrowed my brother's Creative Zen for about half a year. It served me well, although it didn't have the biggest of capacities. Those 4GB of storage did well in trying to serve the same purpose but it came up short. It died in October which is, ironically enough, my brother's birthday month. It survived many scratches and many incidents of dropping and for that I am grateful.

Yesterday, I made a decision to buy my own 16GB Creative Zen. After trying Best Buy (they did not have the 16GB model in stock), I headed to Futureshop. For about $215 (tax included), I scored a fitting replacement for my Zen Vision:M. The silicon case I bought for it set me back about $22. It was slimmer and much smaller with an easier-to-use interface as well as a slot for SD cards. I've loaded it up with music and I'm quite happy. I'm hoping this one will last longer than the other two have; I'm taking precautionary measures to make sure it does.

Next up, nice headphones! Any suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. the nicest headphones are the cheapest ones. ear buds though. if you pay any more than 30bucks, they'll sound metallic and tinny. jvc marshmallows have good sound reproduction. get them!! (Y)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sennheiser or Grado, only way to go.
    If you want specifics on models and pricing, I can ask Blake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what i'm saying is the quality vs pricing of cheaper headphones (<100$) isn't linear. a $50 earbud doesn't have the quality improvement over a 30$ earbud to justify the price. BUT a $30 earbud is head and shoulders above a $10 cheapo one.

    i've had a few headphones, i can say that 30$ is the best median between throwing money away or being a cheapo.

    and ian said grados - i used to have the grado325i. pretty much anything in the grado line is uncomfortable and openbacked- it has no sound isolation and you can hear everything going on in the background.
    long lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so basically i said: if you want headphones better than your marshmallows, you're spending over $100. and you're not buying them from a mass consumer place like bestbuy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, you're right Chris, but the improvement from $50 to $150 is a big one. Open-backed is the only way to go anyway if you don't want reverb. I know Grado's not the best on comfort, but Sennheisers are really really comfy. It's really hard to pick a pair without a given price range though, because the best headphones are >$500 and the worst are <$20. It's not a linear increase, but it's always an increase.

    ReplyDelete