Saturday 17 January 2009

The Storm Before the Calm

Clichéd saying aside, the coming weeks (two to be exact) are going to suck. I know that it's to be expected with January ending the first term and presenting mid-term exams but that doesn't mean I can't moan about it.

01/19: Literature 12 "Pre-Exam Test"
01/20: Spanish 12 Provincial Exam
01/21: Law 12 Midterm Exam
01/23 8:30am-10:30am: English 12 Midterm Exam
01/26 1:00pm-3:00pm: History 12 Midterm Exam
01/27 1:00pm-3:00pm: Literature 12 Midterm Exam

Four exams in one week is not at all a bad thing until you consider the dates of the exams: January 19th to 23rd, the week preceding the exams. I will not be facing just the pressure of exams but the nuisance of homework that, undoubtedly, will be piled on top of studying for exams.

The Literature "pre-exam test" will be a good indication of how the midterm exam will be, I think. I predict the only difference will be the amount of writing (having two hours in the midterm compared to the one in class). It's a double-edged sword in that, one on hand, I have another test to write but, on the other, it forces studying way before the midterm (of which I am not accustomed).

My Spanish provincial will be troublesome. I know I'm probably not going to get an A on it so I'm shooting for a high B in the hopes that I can re-write it in June. Once this stress-inducer is gone, that leaves about four months to really prepare myself for a second provincial attempt in June.

Law's in-class exam won't be a problem; I just have to get all of my work done in preparation for the test. I'm planning to do that tonight. The only issue that may get in the way is that there are a number of presentations that still need to be given on Monday and if there are more "technical difficulties" then that could throw a cog into the plan.

As they say, you can't really study for an English exam. Having the need to study Hamlet more thoroughly in Literature, I think I will be well prepared going into the English exam. Literature will force me to reach those dimensions of Hamlet that English does not necessarily require so that will give me a good advantage.

History will be easy. That kind of knowledge sticks with me and I think some re-reading of information and tests will all I need coming in to the exam. All those wasted hours of staying up late and reading page-upon-page on Wikipedia will finally pay off.

Like I said, the Literature exam will probably just be an expansion of the test. I'll have at least five days to really dive into the material so I don't have many worries about it. I'm looking forward to it because, once it's finished, it'll give me a five day weekend.

One of the main problems I have when it comes to studying is poor time management so I'm going to attempt to disconnect from technology and society for a while. I'll be following the same sleeping pattern (e.g. getting up at midnight to do homework/study) so I minimize my distractions. If I don't blog often, that'll be one of the reasons why.

Good luck to all who are writing exams.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck johnray!
    if it was anything like MY lit exam, it shouldn't be TOO hard :)

    ReplyDelete